Recent Posts

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

working it all out

One of the most difficult things for me has been the inability to work out whenever I get the urge. The freedom to go and run down the street isn't a luxury that we have. It is winter time in South Africa, so it gets dark pretty early, usually around 6 p.m. There were some frustrations in finding somewhere to work out here. 

The first attempt I made was at a yoga studio literally right down the road from my apartment.  It was ideal and perfect...however, there was a huge misunderstanding in membership rules. We could not join unless we were willing to pay 3 months worth, even though we were told at first that we could pay per month. There is not a lot of flexibility in how some businesses are ran. Even though their website said one thing, it was another thing in person. 

You don't see too many people running around in our neighborhood, The Observatory a.k.a Obs. Reasons to why are not very clear, but your first thought may be "because it probably isn't safe." Yet, it isn't filled with workout obsessed people. The people are generally laid back, eclectic and go with the flow...something the whole group is hesitantly but enjoying adapting to. 

Tonight, a friend and I ventured to Claremont and paid a little too much in taxi fare to get to a yoga studio, Yo Yoga, where month-only memberships are offered. Halfway in my Upward Facing Dog, I couldn't believe that I was doing the exact same thing as what I love doing so much back home, yet with a group of  yogis in Cape Town, South Africa. It was wonderful and surreal...until I got completely put to shame by the intensity of Capetonian yoga.

0 comments:

Post a Comment