Recent Posts

Friday, April 8, 2011

a front row student




I have always been a student who finds myself meandering into class, finding a hidden seat somewhere in the middle of the classroom. I have been one of the students until this semester when I became enrolled into History 355-South African Sports and Society.

This class is taught by Andre Odendall, a brilliant man who earned degrees from Cambridge University and not to mention, once a professional cricket player in South Africa.

Humble and soft-spoken, I have found myself intrigued more and more each class with what our very interesting professor has to say. The class reflects the long heartbreak of South Africa's apartheid as well as their triumphs and strengths.

Last class, Sara, our teaching assistant, gave a brilliant presentation on what it means to be a youth in South Africa. I closed my notebook, put down my pen and listened intensively.

40 percent of the nation is devastatingly poor. A very small percentage goes to college, and there are not the opportunities such as for funding as we are so very blessed to find in the U.S. HIV is highly normal, a sad reality. The life expectancy for someone living with HIV is 35 years, something that is not only devastating to families but the entire nation. The working gap of the nation is very low, those who have the stamina and education are normally within that very age gap.

As a nearly post-grad in the U.S I began to wonder, well how do I help? I do not have money and I do not have a cure...but I do have my writing. I recently attended a seminar about Haiti and a 25-year-old grad student from NYU was saying that just because you aren't strong, or wealthy or famous does not mean you cannot lend your heart and mind to a nation. So South Africa, this summer is all about you and I will give you my heart, mind and pen.

This class has been exceptional and a perfect way to introduce me to South Africa.

0 comments:

Post a Comment