Recent Posts

Friday, April 8, 2011

UMBADU

I had never ever gotten to witness the joys of African dance, much less South African dance. 

The University of Kentucky gave me this opportunity in February. The even was hosted by Jomo Xulu and the Umbadu South African Dance Company. The dancing was alive, it was a portrayal of the frustrations, tribulations and transitions in life. 

The Zulu tribe epitomized life through their dancing. An intoxicating energy spread through the audience. I wanted to jump on stage and be apart of the culture and part of the tradition. I wanted to see my own culture, here in Lexington, have the same appreciation and expression for life. 

Not only did I get to experience the amazing dancing, but history was beautifully woven into the performance. Xulu spoke about his experiences during the apartheid and being a young protester in the African National Congress. 

The event was spectacular and it made me taste the energy and life that Cape Town will have to offer. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment